Yep that's right I turned 30 on Sunday and it was a rough one. I'm no longer a teenager, or in my 20s, and not matter what anyone says 30 is not the new 20-30 is 30. For months I had been telling Adam and friends that I really wanted a surprise bday party. But as the day loomed closer I decided a weekend of fun and "relaxation" (as in no mommy duties) sounded even better for an old lady like me. So Friday night had a babysitter and Adam took me to a wonderful restaurant. Saturday morning went with Lucy for pedicures, then off for a day of shopping. After shopping 8 great girlfriends and I met up for a 3 hour dinner never once interrupted by any children:) Then off to a night in at a hotel with said 8 friends for a sleepover. We stayed up late talking about boys, eating candy, and hula hooping (see link but y'all must know that I did NOT put that on youtube I have Ruth to thank for that).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E446vx7C2D8&feature=player_embedded
Next morning we woke up at 9:13-yep that is so sleeping in for me had breakfast and came home to have cake with my little family. We all grabbed forks and just dug in. So much fun. The best part? House was clean when I got home and Adam took my overnight bag and unpacked and put away for me.
But today on my bike ride I was thinking about how old I am and how different and NOT so different being old is. Here is what I came up with:
When I was young:
1. LOVED eating candy
2. LOVED having sleepover and staying up all night
3. Loved bike riding
4. Needed my mom
5. Dreaded Father-Daughter talks
6. Wanted to be a Fashion Designer
7. Was healthy, skinny, and had great boobs
8. Was super shy
9. Wanted to be a pop star
10. Never made my bed
Now that I am old:
1. Still LOVE eating candy, plus chocolate and really any other treats and desserts (unfortunately)
2. LOVE having sleepovers but cant make it past 2:13am
3. Love bike riding but have a little boy in a trailer behind me
4. Need my mom-probably even more
5. Still dread those dang Father-Daughter talks
6. Not sure what I want to be when I grow up-other than Mom of course!
7. Not so healthy, not so skinny, and the boobs-lets not even talk about it
8. Not so shy any more-in fact just today was told couldn't believe that I ever was
9. I am a Rock Star on Guitar Hero-oh yeah
10. Make my bed and Lucy's bed every single day:)
I'm sure that there is much more but that is what I came up with and the rest I can't remember (old age has affected my memory).
8 comments:
You are the Hula Hoop QUEEN!!! Dang!
seriously. . . you're almost as good as me.
Happy 30th!! I'm still in shock that I turned 30 - two years ago.
I love your list of "young" and "old".
Now I really want some chocolate.
Happy Birthday Val! So, tell me how it feels? Will I start to get tired and achy in a few days? It's my turn on Friday! UGH!
Loved the hula hoop footage and the fro. Happy Belated Birthday. I am glad you are finally in your 30's.
I turned 30 last year. It was kind of depressing... despite the attempts of family and friends trying to make it the best birthday ever. It's as if I just woke up that morning and realized 10 years had gone by.
After hearing about your birthday getaway, I am thinking about having a sleepover with the guys at a Red Roof Inn or Econo Lodge next month for my 31st!
Happy Birthday. You are only 30, so live it up. You are still as young as ever.
Had a blast at your sleepover! We need to do that every year! so sweet that Adam cleaned the house and unpacked your bag, my bag is still half unpacked and on my floor!!!
What a great birthday! Everyone needs 8 good friends to go have a sleepover with! I love that Adam unpacked your things.
You're still hot to trot lady, and don't be putting down the 30's. Lots of good things to come in these next few years! Wish we could have gone out to dessert together with the gang but it sounds like you have a new one and I'm so glad! xoxo
Post a Comment